RESSH 24 Conference Review Megan Walker (MLIS Student, UCD iSchool)




         RESSH 24 Conference Review

Megan Walker (MLIS Student, UCD iSchool)

May of 2024 Galway University hosted the fourth annual RESSH (Research Evaluation in Social Sciences and Humanities) conference. This year the bi-annual multicultural event hosted over 80 attendees, presented 30 papers, and displayed 8 posters covering the topics of Evaluation, Infrastructure, and Practices of current research in the Social Sciences and Humanities. Over the two day conference collaboration and debate was given over the specific subtopics that were presented bringing new ideas and challenging those given. As a student attendee I was given a unique look into what organizing such an event entails and the preparations that need to be made and reaffirmed in order for everything to go smoothly.

Day one I got to experience some of what is required to organize a conference event by assisting reception, with other volunteers, by checking in delegates and informing them where and when lectures would take place. Together, with the team of other student volunteers and Lai Ma our lead coordinator, we ensured that speakers were present, technology was working accordingly, and reaffirmed that presentations were uploaded or were accessible before sessions were to commence. Throughout the day there were other things that needed attention such as: ensuring refreshments were available at the designated times, staff were prepared to serve delegates, and minor technical difficulties were handled promptly so that sessions could occur on time and delegates could utilize the opportunities presented to them to the fullest.

There are many other details that must be taken into consideration when planning an event such as this as well such as: venue(s), accommodation for delegates, the possibility of speakers not being able to attend, display items not arriving, short staffing, and many other background tasks that may not go according to plan. In those instances it is a reflection on the event coordinator and their team how it is handled. In the case of this event I believe that Lai chose well and she and her staff did a superb job in ensuring that not only having everything run smoothly, but adapting as things changed.

During the evening of the first day there was a lovely banquet dinner in which I got to speak with delegates about where they had traveled from and about their own experiences. While many of them come from a different field then myself, being a Library and Information Studies graduate, their knowledge and experiences were engaging and unique. Many of the delegates came from outside of Ireland and from countries I have yet to be able to see for myself so it was interesting to learn of the similar struggles that were shared throughout the EU from people within the same or similar fields. I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to speak with them and otherwise get an understanding of their unique backgrounds had I not received the Irish Open Access Publishers (IOAP) bursary and I can only thank them for the opportunity they presented to me.

Day two was more settled, being the last day with the majority of the delegates attending present, therefore I was able to attend a few sessions and the keynote of the day “Epistemic Governance and the Role of the Humanities and Social Sciences”. I found the talk given on “The Future of Peer Review in SSH: Insights from the MetaROR Project” interesting, but not without concerns and am disappointed that I was unable to hear it from the beginning as I moved between the two designated areas. I’ll admit I am not very research inclined so much of what was spoken of during other presentations was outside of my usual demographic, but it was engaging and encouraging to see others bring up questions and ideas challenging what was talked about. It was fascinating to see how personal opinions and experiences shaped their answers and arguments. These debates would then continue in smaller groups during breaks which I also was able to listen to and contribute what I could. By the end of the conference I may have been exhausted, but it was an experience I will cherish and I would repeat it again if possible..


Comments

Popular Posts